Greater Toronto Area, ON
At SCI our people make us even better, which is why we want you to be a part of our fast growing organization. SCI recognizes that having a great team is the key to success; so we attract and retain the right people with an employee experience that focuses on building trust, embracing change, and achieving our goals together. Any one of our 3000 industry experts will tell you that we take on some of Canada’s toughest service and logistic challenges in specialized transportation, technical services, and supply chain management. For 30 years, our proficient planning and flexible solutions have brought us top tier clients. With clear focus, operational excellence, and future growth at the core of our operation, we apply out-of-the-box thinking to deliver exceptional experiences that take our clients to the next level. Are you ready for your next challenge?
The Engineering Specialist will be a valuable member in contributing to SCI’s future. Reporting to the Manager of Engineering, this individual will work as part of a larger team to support SCI’s Canada-wide distribution and transportation network. As part of the team, you will be responsible for completing various engineering analyses, identifying opportunities for improvement, and implementing value-added solutions. This individual will also support the engineering team in ensuring that projects are delivered on time and that costs are controlled. For this role, a valid Driver’s License is required in order to travel to various sites across the GTA. Flexible working hours and scheduling is also a requirement. Lastly, as a member of our core team, the right person for the role will be a leading example of our culture.
What does success look like?
- Your business partners are excited to collaborate with you! You support one another as a team and work together, leveraging everyone’s strengths.
- You can be depended on to see your commitments through and with good intentions.
- The duties & tasks supported by your role, continuously improve with increased quality and fast speed to market.
- You will complete various engineering analyses related to warehouse and transportation operations, identifying opportunities to simplify processes.
- Conduct time studies on various warehousing functions, including Receiving, Picking, Packing, Loading, and Forklift activities.
- You will provide engineering support to Automation Related Projects (DMAIC Approaches).
- Identify opportunities to implement best practices across the SCI distribution network, finding new ways to control costs.
- You will update and maintain spare material handling equipment inventory, as well as facility drawings in AutoCAD.
- Support Operations Teams with various continuous improvement initiatives, as well as facility start-ups.
- Work with third party vendors to assist in product selection, implementation, and support.
- Collaborate with building contractors to design and implement various projects.
What you bring to the role:
- University Degree in Engineering.
- 4+ years related work experience, with 2-5 years’ experience in a Logistics/Warehousing environment, preferably in 3PL.
- Experience working in a continuous improvement environment, such as Lean, Six Sigma, or Lean Sigma.
- You have a background in automation with experience managing or launching automation initiatives.
- Previous experience with MOST is an asset.
- You prioritize and manage your time effectively in fast-paced, flexible environments.
- You hold yourself accountable for the successful completion of projects in a timely manner.
- When making decisions, you consider everyone and engage those who can add value to the process.
- You are nimble in your approach and prioritize with focus on what adds value to the client.
- You have experience utilizing warehouse management systems (WMS), such as SAP, Manhattan, LogFire, and ScanCode.
- Strong MS Office skills, including MS Access.
- You are able to create and update facility drawings in AutoCAD.
Who you are:
- You have the courage to think differently about how things get done every day to continuously improve and deliver even better results.
- The safety, health, and well-being of yourself and your team, is your first priority.
- Providing exceptional service is your passion.
- You uphold your commitments and make decisions with everyone in mind.
- You are energized by collaborating in a team environment, supporting others to find success
- You embrace new things, are open to different perspectives, and adapt quickly to an evolving environment.
- You have strong analytical skills, with a solutions-focused approach to problem-solving.
- You work effectively and participate meaningfully in both independent and team environments.
- You maintain focus and productivity while under pressure, and adapt to change with a positive perspective.
- You have sound organizational skills, with high attention to detail.
- You have solid oral and written communication skills.
Working at SCI:
At SCI, we support the success of every one of our teammates, which is why we offer a balanced compensation portfolio that supports your professional growth. Designed to encourage our people to lead with agility and strive for excellence, we are committed to delivering a competitive compensation portfolio.
We are also committed to creating a safe and healthy environment and support that through our many programs!
To top it off, professional exploration is our game. SCI offers services above and beyond your average 3PL organization. With that comes the opportunity to discover new strengths, learn new skills, and gain unique experiences by contributing to our several vertical lines of business.