*At SCI our people make us even better, which is why we want you to be a part of our fast growing organization. SCI recognizes that having a great team is the key to success, which is why we attract and retain the right people with an employee experience that focuses on building trust, embracing change, and achieving our goals together. Any one of our 3000 industry experts will tell you that we take on some of Canada’s toughest service and logistic challenges in specialized transportation, technical services, and supply chain management. For 30 years, our proficient planning and flexible solutions have brought us top tier clients. With clear focus, operational excellence, and future growth at the core of our operation, we apply out-of-the-box thinking to deliver exceptional experiences that take our clients to the next level. Are you ready for your next challenge?
The Health, Safety and Compliance Manager will be a valuable member in contributing to SCI’s future. Supporting the Director of Health & Safety, this individual will be responsible for managing, monitoring and implementing company health & safety programs, and managing compliance of the day-to-day warehouse and transportation operations. The role will entail directly interacting with managers and operation supervisors on various health & safety projects, as well as training and interacting with front line employees and applicable public agency staff. Please note that this position will require travel to our various sites across Canada. Lastly, as a member of our core team, the right person for the role will be a leading example of our culture.
What success looks like:
- Your business partners are excited to collaborate with you! You support one another as a team and work together, leveraging everyone’s strengths.
- You are depended on to see your commitments through and with good intentions.
- The duties and tasks supported by your role continuously improve with increased quality and fast speed to market.
- Promote leadership, continuous improvement, compliance and implementation of corporate Health and Safety (H&S) programs, practices and procedures.
- You will advise Senior Leadership on changes to regulations and codes, as well as emerging H&S trends and how these will affect operations.
- Perform H&S and compliance inspections/audits and identify corrective actions where needed, ensuring timely implementation and documentation.
- Assist Supervisors/Managers with incident investigations to ensure that root causes are identified and corrective actions are implemented.
- Provide employee training courses and H&S and compliance orientation as needed.
- You will maintain employee training records, including injury records, actions and compliance.
- Deliver and implement safety programs to site personnel.
- Administer Workers’ Compensation claims and case management in collaboration with Human Resources.
- Assist Operations with site specific H&S plans, Job Site Assessments, Hazard Assessments, etc.
- On behalf of Operations, you will schedule, lead, and document all periodic safety meetings.
- Monitor and report H&S performance (leading and lagging indicators) against internal and industry standards.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable Federal H&S legislation, including applicable industry standards.
- Lead by example by demonstrating required behaviors and attitudes in order to establish a strong positive safety culture.
- You will be the active leader of Joint Health & Safety Committees.
- Develop and maintain an effective working relationship and dialogue with all management, site leaders and personnel to provide leadership, set expectations and ensure compliance with health & safety matters.
- You will assist in the development, rollout and execution of metrics/improvement targets.
- Participate in the review of new operations, processes and procedures (as well as proposed changes to existing operations) at the proposal and/or design phase to ensure health & safety and compliance matters are considered and incorporated.
What you bring to the role:
- Bachelor’s Degree/Diploma in H&S or related field preferred.
- CRSP or similar designation would be an asset.
- 3-5 years in H&S management or related field.
- Experience in the warehouse/logistics/transportation industry strongly preferred
- In-depth knowledge of industry standards and regulations, as well as working knowledge of Federal Regulations.
- You have the ability to read and understand technical information, as well as data, policies, laws, guidelines and procedures.
- You effectively plan and multi-task in fast-paced environments.
- You display strong problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- When making decisions, you consider everyone and engage those who can add value to the process.
- You are adaptable in your approach and prioritize with focus on what adds value to the client.
- Competent computer skills, including Outlook, Excel, Word, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.
- *Valid Driver’s License.
Who you are**
- You have the courage to think differently about how things get done to continuously improve and deliver even better results every day.
- The safety, health, and well-being of yourself and your team, is your first priority.
- Providing exceptional service is your passion.
- You uphold your commitments and make decisions with everyone in mind.
- You are energized by collaborating in a team environment, and enjoy supporting others to find success.
- You embrace new things, are open to different perspectives, and adapt quickly to an evolving environment.
- You have strong leadership skills with the ability to direct and achieve priorities, goals, and strategies.
- You demonstrate professionalism in all interactions and act as a change leader.
- You are a self-starter who can work under minimal supervision.
- Highly motivated, service and team-oriented individual with a high attention to detail.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills, and can communicate effectively at all levels of an organization.
- Working at SCI:*
First and foremost, at SCI, we are committed to creating a safe and healthy work environment, which is why we support our people with programs that serve the health and wellness of everyone. We also recognize that business moves quickly, and we strongly believe that success in our fast-paced environment is defined by the achievements of all our employees. We pride ourselves in the collaborative approach we apply to our work, and with a flat organizational structure, each employee at SCI is empowered to make a difference every day. Our people find success through their desire to discover new strengths, learn new skills, and gain unique experiences. With a balanced compensation portfolio, we encourage our people to lead with agility and strive for excellence.
SCI is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all candidates for applying, however, only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.